Rebuilt, redestroyed, the Castle resists… On January 29, 1471, Hélène de Bonenfant, wife Guillaume de Rosnyvinen, a name which will remain associated with the Castle until the 19th century. Their coat of arms, featuring a boar's head, proudly announces the color: "I only attack when wounded", with the cry "Defend yourself". Chivalrous at will, the maxim of the family is still very much present at the Château, “In any way, straightforwardness! ". It must be said that the Rosnyvinen provided Brittany and France with illustrious warriors, seasoned magistrates and literate scholars. At a time when the Château was particularly prosperous, the estate included almost 300 manors, farms, smallholdings and mills.
Beginning in the 12th century
The Château du Plessis-Guériff
The Château du Plessis-Guériff was, in the 12th century, a simple "motte", but feudal all the same: a fortified dwelling, built on an artificial hill. This one is supported by stakes cut in point, which one called "plesse", from where the name of Plessis. She then belonged to one of the oldest families of the bishopric of Rennes, the Bonenfant, one of whose representatives, nicknamed Lord of Guériff, gave her his second name. It was in 1317 that the first stone castle, with four imposing towers, was built by Robin Bonenfant. The first castle was savagely burnt down in 1432, under the pretext of the Hundred Years War and even by the English!
Reconstruction and new destruction The prosperity of the castle
The transformation The Château in the 18th century
Christophe de Rosnyvinen, adviser to the Parliament of Brittany, completely transformed the castle and laid the first stone of the new elegant Château Régence in 1722, and had the north-south wing built. He demolished the towers, razed the fortifications, but kept "the old castle", the east-west wing of today…. Inside, large lounges, reception rooms and richly decorated apartments ... As for the park, it would have been created in the 17th century, under the direction of Lenôtre himself! But the Revolution is soon underway. The Castle, despite the resistance of the Marquis (a priori a sacred character), is sold as national property at a price of 16,040 F, on the death of the old man, at the venerable age of 84 years.
Restitution to the family A new area
It was not until 1802 for the property to be returned to the family in an advanced state of disrepair… and 1818 for the General of the Empire Hippolyte de Rosnyvinen to have it restored. In 1854, the last Marquis de Piré, ruined, sold the property to the Vicomte de Nicolay, who then sold it to the Carron de la Carrière family. The latter undertook work, in particular the construction of the water tower and the chapel. In 1932, the estate was ceded to the Congregation of the Fathers of the Holy Spirit, which turned it into a training center, then a retirement home. History now joins the present… a new page opens for the Château des Pères.
The new page of history The castle of today
Restored to the rules by passionate craftsmen, the Château des Pères exudes a job well done and today it is a symbol of transmission, art and manual work, essential values for the Legendre family, who brought the place back to life.
A historical setting to magnify manual talent as desired by Jean-Paul Legendre, former CEO of the Legendre Group, who grew up close to the Château… before buying it back. Passionate about art, he has made it a unique place.
A timeless space interspersed with inspiring artistic works: a monumental gorilla watches over the place, a wolf runs through the forest, the place fascinates and questions, the imagination gallops ...
The Legendre family Shared values
A family project above all, the Château des Pères is today managed by Julien Legendre who expresses his talents as a developer in a constantly evolving area, which promotes values of transmission, friendliness, well-being and innovation, values who are particularly keen on defending in order to make this extraordinary place grow.